For Beef Filling
- 1 Tbs Olive oil
- 800g Beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 Onion, sliced
- ½ Leek, sliced
- 1 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Tbs Plain flour (substitute with Gluten-Free flour if wheat allergic)
- 1 tsp Tomato paste
- 1 large Carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1 stick Celery, trimmed, chopped
- ½ small Capsicum, chopped
For Potato Topping
- 350g Potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 100ml Milk of choice
- 1 Tbs Margarine or Nuttelex
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large saucepan over medium – high heat. Cook beef pieces until browned all over. Transfer, with juices, to a bowl.
- Add 2tsp oil to the heated pan. Add onion, leek and garlic. Cook until golden.
- Return the browned beef and juices to pan. Add carrot, celery and capsicum. Cook for 2-3 minutes until vegetable softened.
- Add flour to saucepan and mix in.
- Add tomato paste and tinned tomatoes, salt and pepper. Stir to combine
- Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, until mixture is thickened. Transfer cooked mixture to a baking dish.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 12 minutes or until tender. Drain well and return to pan.
- Mash potato, add milk and margarine. Season and mash until smooth.
- Spoon over potato topping. Bake for 15 minutes or until top is golden brown.
If you need help, contact Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia by completing this enquiry form or phoning 1300 728 000.